Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Snap, Crackle, Pop.. Chocolate Krispies, good or not?





Rice Krispies Treats bring me back to the good ole' days of the original Rice Krispies cereal. When I use to fill the bowl with Rice Krispies and then fill the bowl even further with spoonfuls of sugar. Not exactly ideal now as a grown full adult, but as a kid, the Rice Krispies cereal didn't come to life unless that sugar was in it! Fast forward more than a decade later and I'm shoveling Rice Krispies packaged cereal bars down my gullet like a mad-man, 6-8 treats at a time.



On my trip to Avon Park, Florida during the summer, I stopped by a local Wal-mart there and filled my trolley with every Kellogg's, Post and General Mills cereal bars under the corporate sun, leaving me with a grocery bill longer than Lindsay Lohan's rap-sheet. What accompanied the colorful array of small packaged treats, cookies and other junk you wouldn't DARE let a child near alone, was a box of Rice Krispies Treats Double Chocolately Chunk.



It's funny, because I would  not of got if it wasn't for a unfortunate event of seeing Fruity Pebbles Treats, but no Cocoa Pebbles Treats with it! So to compensate, I picked up *two* Fruity Pebbles Treats and this, along with Cheerios cereal bars, and went on my way. These ended up being one of the last foods I tried since my trip. I've already eaten almost everything else! The bars are 22g each and come in a package of 8. That's fine. Portion control size, I can use that. They're 100 calories, 4grams of fat, 75mg of sodium, 15g of carbs, and 9grams of sugar each. Oh, and they have a gram of fiber!



The box gives the cereal bar a much more bulkier appearance, but that isn't the case. It's about half that in height and the chocolate chunks are NOT that prominent, at least not for the size I bought. What I can say about this though is that it does give off a a mild Cocoa scent. Sure as hell better, the damn thing says it's Double Chocolately. So why do I feel jibbed? Probably because "Double Chocolately" was a bit of a stretch. Maybe when they're saying Double Chocolately they're comparing it to the original, which has none in the first place.




 It's not all that underwhelming though. The bar has a good balance of crunchy and chewy, largely in part to the Marshmallows that does a great job of channeling the cocoa flavor with the texture. The chocolate chunks, the decent-sized chocolate chunks, are non too bad either. The taste like generic dark-chocolate, lacking any real defining characteristics in the mix but that all gets lost among the overall chocolate flavor of the whole. Overall, you may not be all impressed by it, but it's good eat! Good chocolate taste, in no way premium, but a decent reach for the price margin! =D




7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment